Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

The ZeroG Skydancers – Staying Power for a Reason


By DrFran Babcock

Namedrops

I was minding my own business, just listening to Crap Mariner read 100 Word Stories. It was nice that Lauren Weyland had shown up because she has been so busy in First Life that she’s not been around much. I could hardly keep from jumping up and down when she Instant Messaged me and asked me if I wanted to go see the Skydancers after Crap was done. I remembered reading about the ZeroG SkyDancers back in 2006 on Hamlet Au’s blog: New World Notes (http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2006/12/your_tube_your_.html ), but had never had the fortune to score a ticket to one of their events. She told me that I had to have a ticket to be admitted, but she was speaking to the staff, and one would be sent my way. The notecard ticket arrived, along with a HUD, and some instructions on setting my viewer to midnight and draw distance to 512 meters.

DanCoyote Antonelli

After a short stop at Curio to look at skins (that Lauren!), we teleported into the Linden Endowment of the Arts sim that currently houses the SkyDancers. Without a ticket you cannot get into the sim. We were cordially greeted, and took seats. The HUD is a bit of a job to attach to your screen, but once that was accomplished, Lauren and I chatted happily with the assembled audience, which (no more name-dropping) contained some of Second Life’s luminaries.

DanCoyote is an imposing figure, all black with a huge Mohawk. He spoke to us in voice about what to expect, and briefed us on the story we were about to see unfold before us on the 3000 meter stage. DanCoyote has been performing in Second Life with the SkyDancers since 2006, and while these performances have often been covered, they bear repeating. Mr. Antonelli has coined the term “hyperformalisn” to describe the art he makes. His definition is long and very intellectual and philosophical. My definition of this immersive, artistic expression is: “Wow!”

The Story

The stories presented change over the years, and for this show DanCoyote introduced us to a world in which the colorful Sufollo, beings of another world, peacefully play in complete joy and freedom. Their whole world changes when the horrible Gopus Bülie—red, spiney and growling—enters their world and tears them apart. The only hope for the Sufullo is Hereau, a Sufollo who is changed to fight the Gopus Bülie. I won’t have to give you a spoiler here, because the show ends differently each time, and like a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is completely affected by the audience observing the performance.

The Show

There is no adequate replacement for being at the show. Immersed in the slow dance of the Sufullo, I melted into the kaleidoscope of colors that passed before me. The music, specially written for the show by Josh Zamo, was ethereal and evocative; a perfect complement to the floaty Sufullo. The intensity of the look, the feel, the multi-sensory experience was enough for me to forget I was staring at a computer screen. I don’t want to ruin if for you, if you can get tickets, so I won’t tell you more of the story.

The Players

The stars of the ZeroG Skydance are the dancers who commit many hours to the practice of their flying and dance moves Kudos go to: Anhinga Chaika, Tatiana Kurri, Angelique Menoptra, Buffy Beale, Pielady Smalls, Talulah Bancroft, Wytchwhisper Sadofsky, Juji Kumsung, Neena Botanical and Dot Pellazi for their aerial skills, and to DC Spensley for the out-of-this-world costumes. The sets were constructed by Selavy Oh and Oberon Onmura.


How To See The Show

I cannot recommend this endeavor more. Second Life has always been to me a place where individuals and groups can create the world they want to live in. The grand experiment comes to fruition when I witness the ZeroG Skydancers, and know the work and passion that went into this production. Come early, chat with the audience, and get ready to immerse yourself in the world of the innocent Sufollo. Thanks, Lauren for sharing this experience with me.

Seats are limited for the Wednesday evening at 6:45PM, Second Life time shows. You can contact SkyBank Alter in Second Life by Instant Message or via email at skybank@dancoyote.com, noting the date you wish to attend and how many seats you would like to reserve.  

DrFran Babcock

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad DrFran got to see this show. The ZeroG Skydancers (and original music)showcases our virtual world. It is a live Fantasia. Dancoyote is an artist in all worlds and I hope all of you who read this get a ticket and see SL in some of it's best glory

    ReplyDelete