Pages

▼

Friday, September 25, 2026

Interview With Frets Nirvana, Musician And Veterans Advocate

 
By Netera Landar

“Life is too short for one Groove.” ---Frets Nirvana


Frets Nirvana is a man of devotion. He’s devoted to the music that flows through him and to fundraising for Homes For Our Troops. 

Frets grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, and was influenced by the British Invasion and 1970s music. He listened to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones daily and enjoyed Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Cream, and the Jeff Beck Group. 

Not familiar with the last group, I looked it up. It was established in early 1967 and included guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Rod Stewart, and rhythm guitarist Ronnie Wood. Jet Harris and Dave Ambrose played bass early on, and Clem Cattini and Viv Prince played drums. The lineup changed many times over the years.

When Frets wasn’t directing a Homes For Our Troops (HFOT) event, I asked him, as the years passed, what other singers and musicians had influenced him throughout his life.

“As life moved on…Tommy Emmanuel, who I studied under; Django Reinhardt; Keb Mo; Joe Bonamassa; Kenny Wayne Shepherd; etc. I have a saying…Life is Too Short for one Groove. My musical interests are far and wide and continue to evolve. It all starts with a song, good emotion, and a great feel.

From the late 1960s to the early 1970s, the bands Frets played in opened for the James Gang, Golden Earring, Rush, Dr. Hook, Bob Seger, and others in northern Ohio. 


“I actually saw Joe the first night he played with the James Gang,” Frets said. “He replaced another guitarist named Glenn Schwartz, and folks were doubtful that Joe could fill his shoes…but he sure did!”

Frets is a self-taught guitarist who watched and listened to the masters. He performed in real-life venues, mostly in Ohio, for nearly 25 years. He then performed in Florida and Georgia and moved to Atlanta so he could play there. 

“I resided there for a little over 15 years and opened up a recording studio . Playing in a band always brings memories,” he said. “The day I bought my 1960 Les Paul Sunburst was a big one…the most sought-after electric guitar in the world. Every one of the performances opening up for the above-mentioned bands was also a highlight.”


Frets learned about Second Life 17 years ago. He studied the technical requirements to set up a studio for a virtual set, and the setup has evolved over the years.

“Especially after I built my pro studio in 2008 for performing in Second Life, as well as for recording my music. I have quite an investment in equipment,” he said, mainly because he owned and operated a professional studio in Atlanta for years, so he understood the technology needed.

Frets also saw the potential to raise funds for military charities in Second Life. At first, he focused on Wounded Warriors, but 12 years ago he found HFOT. He felt it was a better fit for the effort.

“HFOT was willing to establish an account with Linden Labs and to give good support. It is a great organization. So, we have been doing this monthly now for about 16 years. I have not been in the military, and although my father and uncles served during World War II, the rest of my family has not. So why do this? Because, in my opinion, our veterans are why we all enjoy great freedom in our great country. Without their sacrifices, we couldn't support other charities, and we couldn't enjoy things like Second Life. I do not view it as a charity. I view it as an investment in folks who sacrifice a lot to help ensure our freedom. And as someone who appreciates the life that I have been able to build because of this freedom, I view it as the best way to pay it forward. Not to mention the fact that I have not met a veteran who does not love this country and would do anything, including the ultimate sacrifice, for it.”

Frets said that numerous Second Life performers have supported this effort, and he’s deeply appreciative of their contributions.


In terms of experience, he has had a rewarding career in the music industry, having been a musician, performer, songwriter, and owner of a 24-track recording studio during the analog tape era. He was involved in marketing and sales for a company that helped unleash the digital recording technology used in music today: New England Digital and its Synclavier. He then became Director of Marketing for Gibson Guitar. Now, he’s come full circle in retirement. 

“I feel like a kid in a candy shop regarding that, and I am blessed to still have the energy to move my music forward and try to bring some happiness to anyone who wants to listen,” he said. 

All the profits from his musical efforts will be donated to charitable causes supporting those who deserve a helping hand. 


Frets will soon be launching his own record label and website, and publishing his own music on all of the streaming service platforms available to independent artists. He hopes to help others.

He ended the interview by saying he plans to go out when his maker decides it’s time, with strings blazing and singing his favorite song.

And you know what? I can see that happening.
 
Netera Landar

No comments:

Post a Comment