Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Waya Snowpaw's Second Memorial Service

 
By Bixyl Shuftan

On September 27, Waya Snowpaw had passed away. He had been the DJ who did the opening hour for Veterans Isle's monthly benefit concerts for over a decade. He appeared as an anthro canine in an Army uniform, usually (though not always) the one furry in the otherwise all human avatar group of volunteers who raised money for the Homes For Our Troops charity organization. In real life, he was a disabled American veteran, an American Indian, and a longtime DJ in real life for about 40 years. He passed away in his 60s.
 
News of Waya's passing was not announced until October 15. On Saturday October 22, he was given an inworld military memorial service. But not all of his friends could attend. It was decided to give him a second, less formal one later on. It would happen two weeks later. On Saturday November 5, people would gather once more to remember him. The event would take place high above the Water Edge Estates sim. This included friends, SL family, and at least one of his real-life family having come to Second Life.

I was a bit late for the event. Thankfully Lady Mom (Backupmom) had taken notes. Near the start, she hat this to say, "We honor Waya's Cherokee heritage. The American flag and the soldiers cross represent Waya's Military Service which Waya was quite proud of. He was a wounded warrior.

"I speak today to honor Waya Snowpaw. Second life has way of creating family. Waya was my SL brother. My little big brother. Taller than me but younger. We became family in real-life too. Two hour phone calls were  the norm between us. Waya even got to know my real-life spouse. The three of us would talk often. We talked about our lives, we talked about our families. We had similar views and shared concerns. We had a deeply spiritual connection. And we had powerful conversations regarding our spiritual paths. We talked about indigenous medicines. The would want to insert their opinions into our conversations.  Waya loved his dogs, they were good service dogs and very devoted to Waya.
 
"Waya was a curmudgeon sometimes, but he had a big heart. Homes For Our Troops was an important cause for him. Waya was also a badass. He had an entanglement with a four-foot Water Moccasin that had invited itself into Waya's chambers. Waya wasn't having it. Needless to say the snake lost. Waya and I were very protective of one another. Waya loved banana pudding in real-life as well as SL.
 
"Waya was a great DJ with quite a following. He did very impressive bead work in real-life. Waya was in ill health, he was in pain and tired. The people of the Light took mercy on this sweet soul and called him home.. The people of the Light didn't consult me, because I would have asked them to wait. May The Great Spirit bestow eternal joy to Waya and comfort to his real-life family, SL family and all  assembled here.

"Please know that Mom loves you all so dearly. We are here to lift one another up in times of grief and hardships. We are here to celebrate the gifts we have in each day.

"I will miss that loveable wolf that loved ear scratches.  I miss my SL  brother, most importantly I miss my real-life friend."

Lady would text three tributes from others, "Tribute from Fyre:'Waya, Waya, must say first,  I Love You, so many hours talking about sooo many things. But our dogs were always talked about. Those talks will be forever missed. I hope and pray you have Niko and Kala beside you again. How you love them. None of you are in pain now. Thank You for being in my life. Thank You for being the amazing Waya. Hugs and Love You always. Rest easy, soar high. Never will you be forgotten.'
 
"Waya was Fyre's SL Uncle.
 
"Words from Riley: 'Waya was one of my first friends here on SL, and, no doubts, the first who was welcoming me with a warm and honest embrace.

"It's funny, because I'm sure that we have met on another virtual server before, but back then I haven't realize, nor notice him - except for that mysterious guy playing some awesome music - until I came to SL. We just have talked about it once, and I'm sure, that's where I've met him years ago already.
But, there's been so much we had in common... and I miss those conversations we had - some times for hours long. I remember the day we went to an event and they had this huge carousel there. I can't even say how long we were sitting there, just looking at it and listening to him talking about his childhood. It was such a magical moment, seeing him all excited about these wonderful memories. I miss that.

"The music has brought us together and we both were sharing that passion. So I'd like to share a text from a German band we used to love - translated into English:

Tell me what to mourn
Was my life so gray and dreary?
If I think about it, one thing is certain
You shouldn't mourn
What are days of farewell anyway
Against years we get
Cut the tears, enough of that
You shouldn't mourn about me
You should dance, dance, forever
You should dance, dance, to the end of your time
You should dance as if I were among you
As if I were among you...


"Knowing Waya for such a long time, I'm just about sure, that this is something he would tell us:
Don't mourn, even if it's hard, but dance and laugh as we used to do, as if he was among us...

"I won't call this a 'farewell,' but a 'goodbye for now,' because one day we will meet again - and then we will dance together.

"I love you Waya. Thank you for everything. And I'll never forget you ~ you'll always be in my heart.'"

Then May O. Mingzi (mayomingzi) spoke up, "I don't do voice, but I can type a few things. 

"I don't really remember how Waya and I met; I think it was at the Smooth Jazz Club where he used to DJ. But I know that one of the first things I asked him to do for us as a DJ was a memorial service for another friend, more than 10 years ago. That's how long I knew Waya. 

"He said that, unfortunately he had a lot of experience doing such things, and would be honored. We stayed in touch throughout the years. He disappeared for a long time, after he had a stroke, and I feared he had died. But as you know, he didn't. It was like a second chance. And when he recovered, he would joke about how he would sneak out to the nurse's station to get on the computer and stay in touch.

"He got a new machine when he got home, and resumed DJing again. I never knew what type of music he'd play, and he often didn't either. He often would wake up in the morning and ask Alexa what special occasion was going on that day, and build a set from that. It could be something normal, like Mardi Gras - that was his favorite holiday, I think. Or it could be something like, 'Peanut Butter Day,' and we'd end up with a set about food. He loved Weird Al. He had a set of props he'd hand around that referred to things from Weird Al songs, like a duck for 'I Want a New Duck,' and a Velvet Elvis for that song. I have a copy of that folder, if anyone wants. It includes a 'Mennonite hat' Waya made." Several people would ask for it.

"In later years, we exchanged phone numbers, so we could text each other. He would let me know sometimes if he were going into the hospital. Eventually I also managed to persuade him to give me his address so I could set him care packages. He hated asking for help from anyone. He was always the one giving help to others. Whether it was sitting with a soldier in need in real-life, or chatting with someone having a love crisis, or filling in for a DJ, he was always the one giving to others. He also taught me a lot about being a DJ. He shared his amazing knowledge of and love for music. I watched how he interacted with the audience and put songs together. He was a great teacher and a great friend. I will always remember him."

May would then pass around Waya's set of "Weird Al Survival Kit" props. There was then a dance in Waya's honor, with DJ Snowbuns (Skylark Lefavre) as the DJ. People continued to talk some more, such as how Waya would have loved the service and the music. 

Sadly, this wolf DJ was gone. But he wouldn't be forgotten.

Rest in peace,

Bixyl Shuftan

1 comment:

  1. I knew Waya from the grid, but had lost contact, I remember visiting him at a couple DJ sets he had done. He was one of the very first I ever voiced with when I first began my time on SL, outside doing the DJ sets myself. He always had that cheeful voice, and positive attitude. Only now discovering his passing x.x

    ReplyDelete