Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2026

Memorial Service For Rita Mariner

 
By Bixyl Shuftan
 
It's been a sad time for the Sunweaver Community, a time which it will never be the same again.
 
On Sunday July 26, word reached the Sunweaver community that it's founder, Rita Mariner, had passed away.  The founder of the community, as well as the owner of most of it's land, she was also the captain of it's Relay for Life team, the Sunbeamers. The community was created mainly for it's members to relax and have a little fun, often at it's main club, Club Cutlass where they would meet three, at one point four, times a week for a couple hours of music and dance. There would be other clubs in the community, Zero Gravity, the Happy Vixen, Xanadu, the Bouncing Bunny Beach Club, and others, but she wasn't always at those while she was usually at a Cutlass party. 
 
The end came gradually. She would end up hospitalized earlier this year, then announced a skin cancer had been found on her scalp. Surgery would have to wait for the VA to give approval, and when they did it had grown a little larger, and the surgery taking a little more time to recover from. It would be up to Cynthia Farshore, one of the High Sunbeamers, to lead the team this year while she was recovering. She wasn't even able to place the Memorial Garden as part of the Relay Campsite at the Weekend Track this year, or be at the Relay Weekend. 
 
On Friday June 26, Rita announced sad news. She had been diagnosed with Stage Four cancer. Her cancer had been untreated long enough for it to spread through her lymph system, and it was now no longer a question of ridding herself of cancer, but trying to buy time. I would later hear through someone else she had stated she was told she had about six months to live. She would be at Cutlass a couple more times, but didn't say very much. Then she wasn't seen. I would be told that her laptop had busted, and was waiting to get it repaired. I imagined this would be frustrating giving her limited time, but surely with the doctor saying six months she would be back soon for a little more time with us. Sadly this would not be the case, with news of her passing coming just a month after her announcement her cancer was back. 
 

 There would be a memorial service announced a few days following news of her passing, scheduled for Saturday August 1st by Cynthia Farshore and Shockwave Yareach who organized the event. It was set for 6PM, since this was the time of events at Club Cutlass. It would be at Farshore Field in Sunlight Bay, anticipating a possible larger audience than places such as Club Cutlass could comfortably support. There was a seating area, with a podium with Shockwave and Cynthia seating on two chairs behind it. 
 

Behind there were two Sunbeamer balloons and on a stretch of track two Sunweaver railroad locomotives.
 

Unfortunately, an SL glitch made itself known at this most inconvenient time. The sim capped the number of people allowed in much lower than it should have.  
 

Cynthia restarted the sim, which had us looking into an empty area for a few minutes, then it was open again. 
 

But that didn't change the number allowed in. Reluctantly, Cynthia and Shockwave decided there was no other course but to bite the bullet and try to make accommodations for those who couldn't get in. Lomgren Smalls volunteered to copy-paste text into Sunweaver chat, whom a few more people were invited to on request. For those wanting to listen in on anyone speaking in Voice, they were invited to Nydia Angel's Discord where Nydia Tungsten was streaming a live video of the event. Hardly a perfect solution, but with us having a case of "SL being SL," we couldn't think of a better one. One resident stuck outside grumbled, "It figures. My day has been crap so far. Why should now be any different?"
 

Still, ther were a number able to attend. This included Hammy (mmorpgfan Resident) of the "tiny corner" in southwest Sunweaver Space.
 
 
LiskaDaLantros and Fluffyfoxy.
 


 Shelia/Dusk Griswold and Khalitahnita.
 

Jenni Greenfield, whom had semi-retired from SL, and returned to attend the service.
 

 DeniseUnicorn Toonie and Minty Melody, the two noted for their unicorn mare avies, which they used most of the time. 
 

 Charlee and Winter Harmony were able to get in the first time. Unfortunately, when the sim restarted, they found themselves locked out. 
 

 
Liandra Aires and Camaroon Georgie of the RFL team "Roos With A Dream."
 
 
Andrea Jones of Caledon.
 

I stood in the back with Kayala Flow and Ealwen Tenwe, with Nydia Tungsten nearby
 

 Recoyote Mindes and Violet Solena were later able to get into the sim. But Miuki Naidoo and Jenneh Micelf weren't able to.
 

 Shockwave Yareach and Cynthia Farshore, on seats behind the podium.
 

 Shockwave would speak aloud in voice and not text, the only one among the people to do so. He had known Rita in real-life, reflecting fondly on a trip to a convention that went rather roughly. Still, they loved it. He went on about her being an artist for a time in real-life, doing a number of artworks of furry characters. He would also talk about her love of trains, which eventually Cynthia would build a network of in the Sunweaver community. He would say, with amusement, that at one point Rita wanted the track to go through an active volcano on the land.

Shockwave would then mention for all that Rita knew about cancer, according to her real-life sister she was missing clear warning signs. There was a small growth on her head that she asked her to get checked out, even when she was starting to feel tired and spending less time online. Only when she injured herself in an accident and taken to a hospital was it looked at, and discovered. Waiting for the Veterans Administration to approve the surgery took even more time. But it was too late as the cancer had spread.

What Rita couldn't help was how fast the cancer took her. According to her sister, she last saw her at the hospital talking and lucid, asking her to get some passwords. So she left and came back a few hours later, only to find her gone. Shockwave's tone became hesitant as he described calling her up, her sister answering the cell phone, only to tell him Rita had passed away, "at least she didn't suffer." Angel Scarborough would give him a hug after he finished. Dusk Griswold added, "We all understand how Shocky feels."
 
Cynthia Farshore was next, speaking in text, "I forget really when I actually first met her it's been so many years now.  She was always fun to be around, except the times she screwed up or deleted things, especially mine. (quiet chuckle) She didn't have the knack to build much, so she came to Shocky and I. We was always glad to help. We got her out of a pinch so many times. Some not of her making and to that I talk about Cutlass. She knew Indio was going to blow up so she asked me to quickly build a replacement and sure enough it happened. Half of Sunweaver was gone. But I was able to get things ready quick. My replacement Cutlass 6 has been serving since 2015 when it was suppose to be a stop gap.
 
She briefly brought attention to the two locomotives behind her. "Rita loved this railroad I built, even though no one rode it, Rita just loved to see it run and cause of that I have maintained and added. Too bad now it will be gone.
 
"When the Passionate Redheads disbanded she formed the Sunbeamers and I was with her from that start and hung with her to the end. At the end she wasn't able to lead so I had to step up as acting team Captain and was so glad to so that the Sunbeamers wouldn't falter." Dusk would comment, "And did a great job of it." Cynthia continued, "It was a grueling task I tell you organizing the largest airshow we had yet, Moon Dance, and then dreamed up the Carnival that shocky and I had to make from scratch. But we did it, for Rita , and you, and to continue the fight against cancer." She momentarily paused, "Damnit, it has taken too many of you. We got to ruby (level) again. 
 
"However I had to make the painful decision to disband the Sunbeamers. A fitting end as it was Rita's joy, let it stay with her. There's going to be a hollow place in my life now. I should say another hollow. Wiping tears hang on." 
 
She would pause for another moment before continuing, "Rita popped up wherever I DJed. Caledon got to know her. She loveg the puns and I learned to give them. So I have to carry on now and let it go. So I'll leave room for someone else to speak."
 

DeniseUnicorn Toonie would comment, "I know that Rita loved the tipping animals I made.. she even payed me for them. (smile) Minty Melody responded, "We all love them, Denise."

Sheila also known as Dusk Griswold, was up next. Getting to the podium, "So I've been thinking all week what to say. As some of you know, I knew Rita probably longer than anyone here. We were friends well before we know what Second Life was. We met at a Warner Brothers Studio Store in the Chicago area, I don't recall what year it was. They were having an Animanics voice actor event, and I lived less than a 3 hour drive away, so had to go. While there, I noticed a rather large person wearing a hat full of furry buttons on it, and I thought to myself, a fellow furrry. So I went up and introduced myself, and we seemed to hit it off right away. She gave me her business card, which said she was a fan and collector of all things Chipmunks. Not long after I called her, and after a few times on the phone, knew I had found a new friend. She lived in the St Louis area, about a 3 hour drive for me. So over the next few years I went to visit her rl, and she even came to my place once. Her house was full of different collectibles, mainly furry and animated items. I spent several weekends down there, and we did things like go to a movie, visit the sites of St Louis, go to a basesall game, and visit some interesting places.
 
"Sometime during all this I started on Second Life. Rita and I were on a muck, but I though SL was something she'd enjoy. I joind in August of 2006, Rira in November of the same year. Not sure what we did a first, guessing I helped show her the ropes here. Eventually she started getting sims, and I ended up renting a plot from her. She formed the Sunweavers, which I was a charter meber of, as was Shockwave. Not sure who else was in it at the start, but the profile pic has both me and Shockwave in it, that was the first Sunweavers group shot. She started her own club, Club Cutlass, I was one of the first DJs there, I'm guessing Shockwave was too. 

"In between all of this, we would see each other at cons in real-life, mainly Midest Furfest ans Mephit Furmeet. She was often a dealer, and as Shockwave mentioned earlier, we would often go out to dinner as a group. One thing I knew from the beginning was she had health issues. She had a lung issue, I guess started when she was in the Army, and it affected her breathing, especially when exerting herself. 
 
"Even though we were good friends, we sometimes had differences of opinion on some things. One came up when I was a Sunbeamer, who I joined after we disbanded the Redheads.  I enddd up leaving the team and joining Meli's Maniacs. But Rita and I were still friends. Rita during this time spent less time here, which was a point of contention with us. I missed the times we would just talk here, it seemed her games took over as her main interest.

"The last nice thing Rita did for me was let the Roos know I'd make a nice addition to their team, and between her and Cynthia and Liska, seems they were right. It was hard leaving Meli's, but I think things have turned out for the better, and Rita was a part of that.

"So I've been talking forever, but it's hard to be brief when I know someone as long and well as I did Rita. This has been a hard last week, I've lost too many freinds here, and Rita was one of the best friends I have had here. It won't be the same without here, but I have the memories and the knowledge that she built something that will last. 
 
"So I'll close with a movie quote. I forgot what movie, but since Rita loved movies, seems fitting. 'Let's not remember how she died, but rather how she lived.'  And I will close with that, thanks for listening to me."

It was then my turn, and after she stepped down, I stepped up. I both copy-pasted from some notes I wrote beforehand, and used voice, "It was about 2009 when I first started running into Rita. I'd known Lom for a little while, and seeing the group in his profile eventually asked about it. He told me about Cutlass, and while I was helping out with one club at the time, I figured going to another wouldn't hurt. I imagine I was a little quiet on my first night, but it was soon clear Rita and her crazy bunch, we were a right fit for one another.

"When the little community I lived at the time shut down in March 2010, Rita told me there was plenty of room in the estates. So I put down a treehouse in HV Community. While there have been a couple times I moved out for a little while, the treehouse has always been here. It was one way for me to keep a connection here.

"Some estate owners keep a distance between themselves and their residents. That wasn't Rita at all. She had started the Sunbeamers as a group and a place to have fun, and as the group became a community, it remained so. And the parties at Cutlass where we all met three evenings a week could be quite the punfest at times. She could get a little, handsy, with the girls. And there were the booty jokes, getting her the nickname 'booty bandit.' But it was all in the name of fun. I've met a number of friends through her. Too many to mention. Shock and Cynthia certainly had talents." In Voice, I would also mention a few others such as Marusame Arai, or "the pink wonder" as I sometimes called her.
 
"The second thing she stood for was helping out the Relay for Life in Second Life. For a few years, it was with the Passionate Redheads. But after a few years, the team captains left, and eventually the decision was made to fold it. So Rita would start up another team, the Sunbeamers. And so we 'put the fun in fundraising' as more than a few Relayers have called it. Thanks to Shockwave and Cynthia, we've had some great campsites on the Relay Weekend, and were able to shine with other events such as the air shows she organized.

"I spent a while trying to plan what to say in advance, but was only semisuccessful. Rita and I, we had a lot of fun over the years. It's not going to be quite the same without her. But I'll remember the fun times for as long as I live. And hopefully beyond that.
 
"Thank you for being a friend, Rita. Thank you all for being here, and thank you Shock and Rita." I then stepped down.

Cyantia invited others to speak. Hammy (mmorpgfan Resident) would comment, "I was her tenant for a short while. I had a small parcel in about two of her sims, one at one place, then another sim. I left, but on good terms. I and other tinies have called Tiny Oasis home at Sunweaver Space. Now we don't know what will come of it. But I always considered Sunweaver space , tiny oasis home."
 

Gil Otaared, Rita's partner on her profile, was the next to get up on the podium, "I don't talk easily when I'm upset, usually I just bite, or leave something in someone's slipper, but there's nobody to do that to here. Just, Rita is gone (sad sigh). She was my mate for many years, almost since the start.  She was a squirrel when I met her, I found out a few days later she was usually a bunny. I stayed with her a while, then she gave me my own place, where I still am.   She didn't charge me for it, for a while, when she was having trouble covering the sims she didn't even ask.  I found out by myself, and offered to pay, but she never did ask.
 
"She got on less and less, as time went on. We all recently found out why.(sad). I will miss her, there is a bunny-shaped hole in my heart.

Alison Flow then asked to speak, "If I might?" Shockwave responded, "Come on up." "Thank you. All the Roos loved Rita and will miss her deeply. We offer our condolences to all who loved her too. When Rita and the Sunbeamers came to our Relay For Life events, it was guaranteed to be a success. Rita was super generous with donations and all the Sunbeamers were generous with their puns. We always had a fun time. Rita and the Sunbeamers’ generosity extended to inviting us to participate in all their events and in joining them on the region that Rita sponsored for Relay Weekend. We are so grateful for that support. 
 
"There were three teams that contributed heavily to the Roos success in fundraising for the Relay For Life over the last 8 years, the Cure Chasers, the Sunbeamers and the Relay Rockers. Sadly, two of them are gone now. We love you all for the wonderful friends you’ve been. We’re going to miss you terribly."


Angel Scarborough, the partner of the late Akea Grommet, was the nest to speak, "I just have a little to say, if I can. All I want to say is that while I don't remember when Akea brought me to Cutlass for the first time, I think it was probably sometime in 2007, I do remember Rita being very welcoming to me from the very beginning and always after that both at Cutlass and in other places in Second Life. When there was concern for a bit that Second Life might be going away, Akea and I set up a home in InWorldz. Rita joined us there to have a base for the Sunweavers, just in case. She wanted to make sure the Sunweavers would always have a virtual home.

"One last thing is that as others have said, Rita was always very generous. I never could make heads or tails of mesh, and when I mentioned that to Rita, she purchased a full mesh avatar for one of my alts to help me start figuring out how to use mesh. I never did get the hang of it but I appreciated her gift.

"That was all I wanted to share tonight as with many of you, my heart is also heavy and there are tears in my eyes tonight."

Violet Solano then asked to speak, "If i may say something. ... I'm the co captain of Meli's Maniacs. When our team started out, Rita and the Sunbeamers were there to give us advice and help to get us started. And we worked together on events on several occasions. Now as some who have seen our camps know, we leave out memorial items for friends and family who we have lost to cancer. Starting next year we will be putting out a sea captain's cap for Rita and for every year after as long as we have a camp. She was the captain of her team and a Mariner. Also, I'd like to give you a copy of the cap that you can put it out where you would like to." Shockwave would say, "I would like it to add to the memorial. Thank you."


Next to speak was Nydia Tungsten, "Forgive my typing... I met Rita within my first week in SL I was welcomed so warmly into the group. Rita was a flirt, I am putting it politely. And everyone loved it, because that was who she was. She was generous to a fault, When I first rented land in SL I rented from her and when I getting interested in how to handle sims, and she taught me a lot!

"When I found out she had passed I was in shock, and stayed that way until last night, I just started crying, and I haven't really stopped. She made me a Sunweaver, and then I made her one of my Angels, Goddess I will miss her, we all will, because she loved us all." She hesitated, "I'm sorry... that's all I can do right now..."


Next was Lomgren Smalls. But due to the short statue of his avatar, six inches, he placed his chair onto the podium before getting up, "I will sit here to make it at least somewhat easier, heh. Rita was one of the very first people I met in Second Life - I started exploring on March 3rd, 2007, and I met Rita on March 5th.  Rita welcomed me with open arms, inviting me to the group, wanting me to get some silks to wear for the 'group outfit.'  And if you can believe it, I wasn't tiny back then, it took a bit for me to get this worked out, haha.

"But I will always remember the fun we had together, me learning to build and script, working on various projects and helping Rita with different things as well, first with the Passionate Redheads and their campsites, and then other things over the years. It's also fair to say that Rita was a big influence and one of the reasons my life has turned out as it has.  I remember the mainland in Pockwock, and how we outgrew and ended up with the islands.  I remember that giant volcano and the trains, and I had a little treehouse there for some time where I would have friends and let them have small rooms to give them a place.  And I was able to do that because Rita was generous.

"With the Sunweavers being one of the big reasons I kept coming in to Second Life, I eventually attended a virtual career fair held by the State of Missouri and actually managed to get hired by the State.  I've had many adventures and ups and downs in life's since then, and other jobs, but if I hadn't met Rita, who knows where I would have ended up.

"We all know that she had such passion, care, and love for all of us, for her adopted family.  I've been trying and failing to hold it together all night, but that's okay, it shows that she affected us deeply, and we all have a Rita-shaped hole in our hearts.  Rita, you are and will continue to be missed.  Thank you."


Mato (Matoazma Kazyanenko), who was also speaking on behalf of Ranchan Weidman, "I wanted to relay a few words on behalf of Ranchan, and myself. Rita, was always so kind and sweet to me. I'll always cherish that she brought me into her community, her family. I will always remember you, Rita. Thank you.
 
"And from Ranchan...'When I first met Rita, I had just caught up with a long time real life friend who was also in Second Life named Deriol. Deriol had bought one of the Kani bunny avs for me, because the av I had was atrocious. At Cutlass, I met a few there, Shockwave and Rita being one of them. Rita was fairly nice and even offered to help teach me, like many other, the basics of setting up an avatar shape that felt more "one's self." The place the club was at was amazing to be in and Rita was always supportive of the dancers and DJs of the events that I went to.'

"'We spent time as weoo, teamed up together with a few others when we would visit Twilight who ran Star Wars and DnD sessions. It was through Rita that the first four homesteads came to fruition, which Shockwave, Twilight, Rita, and myself acquired. Eclipse, Twilight's sim, Sunny Beach, and Pacific waters. Adri and I called that home for a long time. When things changed on the pricing, Rita was able to provide us a space on what was then called Sunweaver Air.'

"'I met Rita, Gil, Shockwave in person while I was going through dialysis when I attended a Further Confusion event in San Jose, Ca. Rita and Co. were kind enough to offer me a place for a night in the hotel in which as thanks I drew a bunny for her. We had fun at the dinner we had that eveninig, listening to stories Rita and the others had of conventions they attended prior. It was probably one of the best times I spent during a time I was feeling down.'

"'Rita and I eventually had some disagreements, but nothing that was detrimental and remained friends. But that's how Rita was. She tried to balance everything out, always wanted to see the positive and always wanted to keep things in a positive direction.' 
 
"'Rita has been a key part of Second Life and that's why there is such a big effort going on to try saving at least some of the sims to preserve part of her legacy in Second Life. But Rita will life on in our hearts, well past the days of Second Life. That is who she was at heart. That's why she was endearing to practically everyone she'd come in contact with. ut rita will life on in our hearts, well past the days of Second Life. That is who she was at heart. That's why she was endearing to practically everyone she'd come in contact with.'"

Ranchan would have a message to Gil, "'You and Rita are and always will be a part of why Second Life has been special for our lives here. We're here for you if you need any of us. The two of you had real chemistry both in and out of SL.'" Of Rita's health, Ran commented Rita "'often kept everyone in the dark about the finer details of it. We all wish we had more time, to say things to her, especially when she was off SL near the end and not showing up as much. But I know this, Rita would have wanted us to celebrate life, keep up the fight against cancer, and mvoe forward. That was Rita. There wasn't really any slowing down in her veins. As I am now at a loss for more words, Rita, we all are here because of you. May your sails be full and the tide be generous. You'll forever be in our hearts. Thank you all, and thank you Mato for helping convey what I wish I could have done in person.'" 

Mato concluded, speaking for herself, "And from me personally... thank you. I am never good at these things... I am at a loss for words too..."

Recoyote Mindes' only comment was a mournful howl, "V^^V   YIP YIP YIP ARARARARAraararararaARARARARAraraararaARARARAARAAraraararara   V^^V"

There was some silence afterwards, Dusk making a comment, "Rita never flirted with me." Gil went, "Rita was always the left turn at Albuquerque." 
 
Cynthia would then lead a prayer, "Our lord Jesus please guide Rita, Allen Fishbeck into your arms. Accept his soul into your loving grace. Please look over his surviving relatives and friends as they continue their lives journey. n Jesus Christ name. Amen."


After a pause, people began to speak again, Katie Velvetpaw going, "Rita we will meet again when we are as golden clouds upon the wind." Tara Li (TaraLi Jie) wwould recite a poem, "Sunset and evening star, And one clear call for me! And may there be no moaning of the bar, When I put out to sea,"

"Thank you Cynthia and Shock." "Well done, Cynthia and Shock. A very fitting tribute.♥️" Nydia would remind people of the video she made, "The rest of you stay healthy, I don't want to make any more of these." In group chat, Michi Lumin, who couldn't make it due to the sim glitch, would comment, "It hurts." Lomgren responded, "Yeah, it really does.  But we are still the big adopted family, and we will go on, obviously."


People hugged one another, saying a few more words, and a few were the first to say goodnight and leave. This would allow a few people to come in, Rhane Kubo (Rhane Slade) commenting, "So crazy... you never think things like that'll happen until it does." 

A few of us lingered. One person dropped in. She had logged on for the first time in a while, and only just tonight had heard of Rita's passing, "figures I would miss her funeral." We chatted some for a while. And eventually would go our separate ways.

Maru, whom had left Second Life for VRChat a few years ago following a dispute over one of her avatars, would also comment, saying she wished she had heard sooner Rita wasn't well. Otherwise she would have come by to visit. She would post a number of pictures on Discord of old times. 

Sometimes, a relationship can be like having a book on a table that you read a sentence or two or even full pages at a time, and over the years you keep the book open and read a few passages, it collects dust, you dust it off. Then one day you go to continue the book and it was suddenly closed and put back on the shelf, you forget the book and what page it was, but you remember enjoying it.


Soon after, Shockwave would have another addition to the Sunweaver memorial. When one of us passes, he's made an everburning flame. But with Rita, he made hers larger and placed it in the center, as she had been the chief, and when viewed at night it lit up the sky like a beam. 

Rita's memorial service is likely the last time I will see a few of the people. Jenni Greenfield's already stated due to her declining health, she will unlikely be on much in the future. Time has not been kind to some of us, making us too busy, or too sick, to log in. And so we put our Second Lives on hold, hopping things will change for the better so we can return. Sometimes it does. Sadly sometimes it does not. 

Of Rita's Sunbeamer Relay for Life team, the decision was made to fold it, of which I support for reasons I stated in a commentary. Roos With A Dream and Team ACTS and others will continue it's work. 

Much remains to be determined. As the owner of most of the Sunweaver's land comes the question: "What happens to the sims?" As of the writing of this article: we don't know. Contacting the Lab, we were told they would get to us, eventually. About a month later, we are still waiting.
 
It is hopeful some of the land can be saved. But, we don't know how much. What we do know is HV Community, owned by Ranchan Weidman and managed by Nydia, is safe. Currently, a few have made plans to move to there. 

And then, there is the future of the Sunweaver community. In real life, many movements and groups do not survive the death of their founder. And this is true as well in Second Life. It's probable with Rita gone, many will move. Shockwave and Cynthia have stated their plans to make Caledon their main home. But many of us will try to stick together. It's what Rita, whereever she is now, would want. 

Enjoy your time in the afterlife Rita. Just be sure to spend some time with Allie, Akea, Zorro, and others and not overdo the Subnautica. 

Bixyl Shuftan

1 comment:

  1. bad Wi-Fi kept Me away (Jessie Vix DJ Jessie). I'm just a noob in the Sun Weavers as I'm only 5 years old in SL. Rita was one that was too patient with my attempted customizations messing up her land, I broke my parcel many times and Rita would drop by immediately to help...once t was repaired, we would chill awhile and talk... as i look up towards Cutlass Circling my parcel, I swear its Rita and Zorro driving her up there. the music has gone silent there but she still sails the digital skies over Sunweaver Bay, A comfort to one so young who has lost so many already both in IRL and SL ,

    ReplyDelete